Register of Network Standards and Guidelines
New Reference Documents Out For Feedback
The NZTA Maintenance Guidelines for local roads (2012) have been approved by the Ratification Group meeting on 9 May 2013 as an Other reference document, rather than a Guideline, to allow for further discussion and local feedback.
The following new reference documents have been approved by the Ratification Group meeting for Local Guidelines Status subject to the process described above:
9 May 2013
- Bridge Manual version 3
- CoPTTM (Traffic Control Devices Manual Part 8)
- Traffic Control Devices Manual - all current parts (including Part 8 and Part 9)
14 March 2013
- new Technical Memo TM2503: Guidelines for Edge Protection and Medians on Dual Carriageway Roads, incorporating a safe system philosophy
- Traffic Control Devices Manual Part 9 Level Crossings
- new Safe journeys for motorcycling on New Zealand Roads Guide
11 October 2012
- new Z/44 Risk Management Minimum Standard to replace AC/MAN/1 as reference for provision of risk management services by suppliers in HNO contracts ( see also the Ratification Report and NZTA Risk cost comparison )
- new Asphalt Surfacing Treatment Selection Guidelines developed by NZTA and Roading NZ Pavement & Asphalt Committee's Asphalt Working Group ( see also the Ratification Report )
- NZTA Specification P17 Performance Based Specification for Bitumous Reseals (see also Changes made to P17 and theRatification Report )
- NZTA Specification T10 Specification for state highway skid resistance management (see also the Ratification Report )
New reference documents or major changes to documents in the Register will be ratified by a Ratification Group that includes the Convenor of the Research and Guidelines Steering Group and at least two representatives of the National Planning Manager, National Investment Manager , Information Manager and HNO National Manager Professional Services from NZTA.
Significant changes have been to the State Highway section of the Register Process Manual. No significant changes have been made to the Funding and Local sections. Register Process Manual V3.0 July 2011 is now available at the existing link.
The Register has also been significantly changed. The layout has been changed from MS-WORD to MS-EXCEL 2003 to increase its usefulness. Also, NZTA Specifications have been added, along with recently developed guidelines, and a Planning and Investment knowledge base section has been added under Network funding standard documents. Joanna Towler and Miranda Wood, in particular, have made a significant contribution to this revision of the Register.
The spreadsheet format now contains four worksheets:
- About this Register
- Register management plan
- Full Register
- Record of amendments
An Archive Status section is now included in the Register, too.
The Register and the associated Register Process Manual were developed by NZTA in November 2009 with support from the RCA Forum and the wider industry. Reference documents were automatically transferred to the Register if they were included in the previous State Highway or Land Transport NZ standards and guidelines manuals, with the previous Status of the documents.
The Register provides, in one place, a definitive list of all relevant NZTA State Highway Network Operation and Investment policies, commonly adopted manuals and technical documents. It also provides a simple, easy to access and manipulate repository of reference documents for local road controlling authorities. Local road networks need to support the reference documents as providing current best practice. They should be willing to adopt the standard solutions in the Register and, where necessary, vary those standard solutions to respond to local circumstances appropriately.
Where a local variation has been adopted and proven successful, details of the local variation should be provided to the approriate NZTA technical expert for noting as a local solution in the Register.